Sunday 25 October 2015

MARY PORTAS: SHOP GIRL


Last week I went to see Mary Portas talk about her life, from growing up in Watford to working in the glamorous world of Harvey Nichols and Harrods. I've always enjoyed watching her TV shows, particularly 'Mary's Bottom Line' - her passion for what she believes in is contagious.

I didn't know much about Mary's life beforehand, other than what she has mentioned in her programmes, so I was interested to see how she got to be so successful. I don't want to sound cliche, but I found the talk really inspiring. What has really stuck with me is when Mary spoke about how she responds to the question 'What is your end goal for your career?'. Her reply is simple - she doesn't have one. She believes that people can get too wrapped up and focused on a final destination. Instead she did the best she could at each job she had and that opened doors to opportunities she hadn't even considered. I've always struggled to decide on a 'career'. I think that to decide on a career seems really final and definite and I can't even decide what to have at Pizza Express! I like the notion of doing your best at what you're doing right now and seeing where it takes you. If you have a passion for something, give it your all, do it for the love of it and see where it takes you. Even if you end up not liking it in the end or it doesn't work out, you gave it a shot.

In my opinion, one of the factors of how Mary Portas has had such a successful career is that she is so passionate about what she is doing. You can see that from her TV shows and I'm very excited to read about it in her book. She is a brilliant example of how hard work and commitment can allow you to accomplish whatever you set your mind to and I for one have taken so much from her talk. Thanks Mary!

Follow
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© LAURA SIAN TAYLOR

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig