Wednesday 20 July 2016

KINDLE VS PAPERBACK - IS TECHNOLOGY KILLING THE PAPERBACK?


If you'd asked me back in 2007 - that was almost a DECADE ago by the way!!!! - when Amazon first released the Kindle if I would ever buy one, my answer would have been a firm no. I was whole heartedly in the paperback club and couldn't think of anything worse than reading a book on a screen. Oh how times have changed...

I held out for a pretty long time, I didn't get my Kindle until around 2014. But what made me betray the paperback club? The main reason I caved was just because of how portable it is! I can carry around as many books as I like - I can have a whole damn library in my bag if I really want to!! For travelling it is absolutely perfect; there's nothing worse than getting yourself situated by the pool, drink in hand, SPF lathered on, only to find that the one book you brought on holiday is dreadful. If I'd wanted to bring a selection of books on holiday with me in the past, that would have meant having to forsake a lot of my weight allowance which could have been better used for holiday shopping! Now, I can carry 20 books in my hand luggage - sorted.


You may be thinking - this is exactly why paperbacks are going out of style. Don't get me wrong I love my Kindle for travelling, but when it comes to reading at home, you still can't beat the feeling of a physical book in your hand. The phrase 'it's a real page-turner' wasn't created for no reason. I love getting so into a book that I can't wait to turn the page to see what is coming next! With a Kindle - it definitely ain't as dramatic as that - no wonder the phrase 'it's a real page-clicker' has never caught on!


I have to say, technology really does have it's plus points, but it can't replace that feeling I get when I walk into Waterstones on the hunt for my next read. There's something about books - the cover art, the pages, the SMELL, the feel - that you miss out on when you read from a screen. So let it be said, I'm all for some Kindle love when it comes to travelling, but long live the paperback!

Are you team paperback or team Kindle?!
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. I've never owned or used a Kindle, but I can definitely see the benefits and advantages of having one. I think I'll always be team paperpack. Nothing can beat the feel of holding a physical copy of a book :) But who knows. I'll probably be buying a Kindle in the future because it is convenient!

    Kathlyn | Kathlyn's Korner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think they're great for travel and they're so much easier to read off than I thought they would be. But yes, go team paperback!!

      Delete

© LAURA SIAN TAYLOR

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig