Wednesday 26 July 2017

BOOK REVIEW: THE SHOCK OF THE FALL BY NATHAN FILER


For some reason, it's taken me a while to get around to reading this book, and now that I've finished it, I really don't know what has taken me so long! The Shock of the Fall deals with mental health in the most delicate and believable way that I have ever read in a novel.

The story is narrated by Matt Homes, a young man suffering from schizophrenia which has been triggered by the accidental death of his older brother Simon. It begins 11 years after the death of Simon, at the Hope Road Day Centre, where Matt is receiving treatment for mental illness. The actual events of Simon's death are not revealed until towards the end of the book, but hints are dropped throughout the story creating an addictive underlying suspense. During the book, Matt jumps backwards and forwards between present day and the events leading up to where he is now, talking about how he and his family have been affected by the death of Simon.



 
Before I read this book, I had just finished The Catcher in the Rye by J.D Salinger and throughout The Shock of the Fall, I couldn't help but draw comparisons between Holden Caulfield and Matt Homes. Both to me are thoroughly loveable characters that I can't help but feel compelled to help and care for.Part of this I think is because both of these characters are so incredibly crafted and completely believable it almost feels like Matt has taken your hand and is guiding you through his life.


I absolutely loved Nathan Filer's writing. It was full of such beautiful descriptions and metaphors, without being so dense that you don't have a clue about what's going on in the plot! The underlying suspense of what actually happened to Simon made it an absolute page turner and the charismatic, sweet and funny narrator of Matt made it such an enjoyable read. This humour was however interspersed with some quite dark moments, which again added to the believability of the story. The thing I really loved about this book was the ending, and that's not something I say often! Without giving anything away, all I'll say is that I felt a strong sense of closure and satisfaction once I'd turned the last page.

Nathan Filer has crafted a beautifully written, touching novel that had me compelled from the very beginning. If you're a fan of The Catcher in the Rye or Silver Linings Playbook, this is definitely one to check out!!

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© LAURA SIAN TAYLOR

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig